Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What's in a Name?

This weekend I was blessed to take part in a baby shower for my cousin, Laura.

I love baby showers! I love babies! I especially love looking in Baby Name books to see the meaning behind the names. You know, God knew us before we were born. He calls us by name.

Today, my Parker found the Baby Name book and was browsing through it to find out the meanings of the names in our family. Besides being a good school lesson (searching alphabetically for a word), it was an encouragement to me. After going through every one's first and middle name, we came to my middle name....Kimberly.

I don't think I've ever looked at the meaning of my middle name before.

Kimberly: Seeker of Truth. Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart! Psalm 119:2.

Thank you, Lord, for this blessing today. I needed these encouraging words which came through the curiosity of my seven year old; but were directed through you. Thank you, Lord, for your perfect timing!

So, what's in your name?

*******
A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. Proverbs 22:1

"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." John 10:1-5

For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 10:12-13

No comments: