Thursday, February 4, 2010

Reading Advice

The flu-bug has left the building!

So, today we went to the library. The boys love to get books, though a few of them rarely actually R-E-A-D the books they get.

What are their favorites? Spencer loves Hardy Boys, World Record's Books, Comic Books and Superhero books. Trevor prefers books on Dinosaurs, any kind of animal, and Superheros. Parker is partial to dragon books, 'how to draw' books, and Superheros. Brenner picks up whichever books are on the shelf in front of him and enjoys browsing through the superhero books his brothers get.

But today was a break-through on the reading aspect of books. Both Trevor and Parker found a series of books that are interesting enough that they WANT to read the stories. Trevor has found a series on puppies and Parker re-discovered Amelia Bedelia books. Yay!

As a homeschooling mom, the most taxing part of the job for me has been to teach my kids to read. Though my middle two can read, they are not what I would call fluent readers. So, I'm so thankful that they have found books that seem to make the words leap off the pages.

So, I'm curious. If you've had a child who less fluent in his/her reading, what things did you do to help him/her along? I could use some more help on this.

*****************
My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you.
Keep my commands and you will live;
guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
Bind them on your fingers; write them on the table of your heart.
Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," and call understanding your kinsman....
Proverbs 7:1-4

2 comments:

Monica said...

Parker and Amelia Bedelia. That is quite a combination:)

Brooke said...

My kids can read, but don't choose to read for enjoyment. To me this is really disappointing. I recently turned a corner when I established a designated reading time during the day. . . 1 hour. I started clipping the Indy Star's "Read the Zoo" in the Tuesday edition, and collecting magazine articles from Half Price steals. This array with a plethora of library books (a wide sampling of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, how to books, biographies, etc) has created an interest spark. It does require alot of library time to find just the right books, but well worth the investment.It worked for us :)