Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving

It was three years ago that I really appreciated Thanksgiving for the first time.  That was when I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  In fact, I had my first appointment with my surgeon the day before Thanksgiving in 2007 and we scheduled my (first) surgery for the following Tuesday.  Has it really only been three years?  It seems like ten years have been added to my life since then.

Prior to that, it was always the time of family and togetherness that I looked forward to the most on Thanksgiving.  Of course, that is still important to me, but now I am just so thankful to be here.

I don't care if the stuffing is just right, or if the turkey is big enough to feed everyone.  Who cares if there are enough pies, or if decaf or caffeinated coffee is being served?  I'm just so thankful to be here. 

Why do we worry about whatever family tension may be a brewing?  We are together.  Can't we be thankful that we are together--whatever that looks like for me....for you. 

I can just see Jesus interceding for us and cheering us on as we come together with family! 
"You can do it!"       "Love your brother."        "Forgive your sister." 
     "Let it (whatever "it" is) go."       "Lay down your pride."      "Hug your mother."       
"Kiss your father."         "Play with your children."       "Engage with your grandparents."

There are so many things we can be thankful for!

Well, Happy Thanksgiving!  And pass the turkey, please!

3 comments:

Monica said...

You said it so well, my friend. Enjoy this day just as you enjoy everyone. God is great!

Anonymous said...

I can't say it any better than it has already been said. We love you, Michelle! And keep up the good work!
Love, Grandma Keva and Grandpa Jude

Sherry said...

well said - and now it's been 4 years - never look back. God is amazing!