Friday, September 12, 2008

To Die is Gain

Before I explain my title, I wanted to thank many of you who have been emailing me and asking how I am. Now that homeschool is back in session things have been rather busy here. Between schooling and football practices and other extracurricular activities......treatments, doctor and physical therapy appointments.....oh, yes, and the never ending cycles of life (the dish cycle, the washing cycle, and the eating and cleaning cycles)......well, I haven't had much time to do my 'blog' therapy. I've missed it.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is the 2nd Annual Striking Out Breast Cancer Tournament through the Sweet Melissa Foundation. We continue to pray that the rain will miss us!!!

I've struggled with how to share the following information. It just breaks my heart. One of the benefitting families for the tournament has recently had a tremendous loss. Yvonne, a wife and mother of four, lost her fight with cancer almost 2 weeks ago. Although I didn't know Yvonne, as I'd only met her once, I could tell that she was a beautiful, kind-hearted person. My heart just broke for her family when I heard the news. Please, pray for Yvonne's family as they continue to grieve.

When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer, death crossed my mind.......for a moment. And with that thought came the verse from Philippians, the epistle written by Paul as he awaited his trial. He wrote in Chapter 1, verses 20-22:

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!"

I think of Yvonne again. And I say, "You go, girl! You fought with courage, and now you have been set free!"

I think of Yvonne's family again, and I grieve with them. For it's never easy for those of us on this side of the finish line.

No comments: