Monday, March 30, 2009

Need Clarification

Since my last post about my chest X-ray, I received a copy of the report. Oh dear! My analytical mind began to go through each line and word.

I'm a bit baffled by the report. The indication for the test says 'chest pain and shortness of breath.' The final impression says 'no active cardiopulmonary disease.' Of course, I'm very happy to know that there's nothing wrong with my lungs. But chest pain and rib pain are two different things.

Here's my concern. What about the specific areas of rib pain? Only three words were mentioned about my bones in the findings section....'bones appear normal.' That is only slightly comforting to me. I want to know that the radiologist took a good look....a really good look....at those three areas of pain that I have.

From a distance a lot of things 'appear' normal. Even me. But a close look can be quite revealing. :)

So, at the encouragement of my Physical Therapist (wonderful lady!!), I've sent an email to my physiatrist asking for the chest x-ray to be re-read OR for a new x-ray. I've also asked for a more detailed test to rule out any spread of breast cancer. Before we start down the path of 'fixing' my pain, I really need to know what the source of pain is.

Being a pushy, self-advocate isn't what I signed up for, but apparently, it's what I've got to do. So, I appreciate your continued prayers about this, and will update you with what I find out.

Thank you, Barbara, my P.T., for being my voice of reason.

***********
Every prudent man acts out of knowledge....Proverbs 13:16a

3 comments:

Monica said...

It's hard to speak up especially when you really and truly don't want to know the answer (if it's bad, that is). You've done the right thing. Hopefully you'll have answers soon than later.

Anonymous said...

Take heart my little one. "I wait for the truth of Your Word to come to pass, Lord, I wait for help to return. I wait for the promises to become a reality. I wait for the wisdom to take shape and to make sense in my life." PS. 130:5 "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I hope.
We will wait and trust your King for all the answers you need.
Always with Love,
Mom and Dad

Brooke said...

I agree with your thoughts on locating the source of the pain. So often we Bandaid the problem by treating the symptoms. I am proud of you for standing up for yourself and requesting another reading. PRAYING!