Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So Long Ronald!

In the last two months our family has only been to McDonald's three times. Three times! That is quite an achievement for us. Do they give out World Records for self-control?!?

Usually, you could find me zipping through the drive-thru after a practice or game, between errands, while Sean was out of town, on the way home from the park....you name it. If there was an excuse to drive by, I jumped at the chance. Now, these stops weren't always for a full meal deal. Sometimes it was just for a "half and half Tea, light on the ice." (If you aren't familiar with the McD's jargon, that's a large half sweet and half unsweet tea, with little ice. Oh, how I miss my sweet tea.....but I digress).

We've made a real effort to eat healthier, and it's showing. Sean and I collectively have lost over 30 pounds. We're feeling better and looking better! (Though, I admit, I have a long way to go!)

And the boys are eating more variety than they ever have. One of our favorite treats is an afternoon smoothie. We blend together vanilla yogurt, strawberries with their green tops still on, blueberries, uncooked spinach (at least a cup full), a touch of orange juice, and chopped ice. It's very tasty!

Tonight, we had stir-fry with broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, red bell pepper, spinach, green onions, and left over ham poured atop brown rice. Though the younger two picked out the peppers and the mushrooms, they ate everything else...with some 'encouragement.'

All that being said, we still indulge from time to time in some tasty treats. So, I'm off to eat tonight's 'encouragement:' a cookie/brownie mixture we made for dessert!

*******
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:4-8

1 comment:

Tisha Alexander said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! That is great... I also miss McDonald's, but it is because two of the boys are on gluten free diets now.