Thursday, September 23, 2010

Casting for Recovery

Mid-Flex........Tippets.....

Clinch Knot.....Dry and Wet Flies.....Caddis......

These words, and many more, were added to my vocabulary over the past weekend in which I attended a retreat for women who have or have had breast cancer.  This was no ordinary weekend.

Fourteen women from all walks of life across the state of Indiana were "randomly" selected from a pool of applicants.  And I was one of them! 

Though it is true that our applications were randomly chosen by human hands, I believe that this particular weekend was meant for each one of us.  I could provide a list of examples that, to me, confirm that God's hand was in this orchestrating every detail; but for the sake of confidentiality, that will have to stay out of this blog entry.  From attendees to program coordinators and from medical professionals to fly-fishing and river helpers, this weekend was truly exceptional. 

Yes, I said FLY FISHING.

This weekend used the beautiful art and rhythm of fly fishing, combined with counseling and medical expertise, to bring each participant one step further in her road to recovery.  It was truly a tapestry of grace, love, compassion, respite, and healing. 

There are a few moments in life when you can walk away from something and know that the hands and feet that served you faithfully and lovingly were extensions of your Lord.  That is what this weekend felt like to me.

A huge thank you goes out to the hundreds of volunteers who make this retreat possible.  An even bigger one goes out to the women and men who made this specific weekend possible.  Thank you so much!

Now that I'm home I see that there are a few more words in my vocabulary whose depth of meaning were expanded because of Casting for Recovery.  Words like......

Compassion......Love......Servant's Heart.

Guidance........Graciousness.......Friendship.

********
Casting for Recovery was founded in 1996 by a professional fly fisher and a reconstructive surgeon.  To find out more, or to tell a breast cancer survivor about this retreat, check out their website by clicking here.
********

I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  Psalm 121:1-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was one of the lucky 14 this weekend also! I had no idea how much I needed this weekend until I was there yes the fly fishing exsperience was awsome but the whole soul refreshing exsperience was more so! I was even luckier than most because I was choosen as your roomate!