Crazy as it may seem, I returned to work this weekend. My surgeon cleared me to do so, but I wasn't so sure. I'd developed a seroma, a pocket of fluid that sometimes collects in the armpit after lymph nodes are removed. Typically, these resolve on their own, but sometimes the surgeon has to go back in to drain it.
For some reason, last Tuesday, the seroma had swelled to nearly the size of a tennis ball. I sat at our school table trying to teach my 3rd son his reading lessons. He was whining and complaining and I sat there unable to even rest my arm against my body because of the pain. Before I could stop them, the tears began to flow down my cheeks. Initially my son thought I was crying because of his misbehavior, but when he realized that it was because I was in pain, he started reading his words without difficulty. We sat there together. He read his words, and I continued to silently cry. As strange as it may seem, it was a precious time for him and me. A moment that I think neither of us will forget.
As the weekend approached, the swelling decreased to about the size of a golf ball and the pain was controlled with Motrin. I left for work, knowing that God would take care of me, but I just wasn't sure how! Well, He did not fail! Here's a look at his unending love, through my eyes:
As I pulled out of the driveway on Saturday, it was just beginning to snow. The roads weren't too slippery. Once in the parking lot at work, a beautiful song by Chris Tomlin (a remake of John Newton's Amazing Grace) came on the radio. I parked the car, closed my eyes and sang out with all my heart those beautiful words. Work itself went well. My arm ached on occasion, but it never really hurt. In fact, the swelling continued to diminish throughout the day and I had more range of motion in my shoulder by the day's end. (Did I mention that I'd forgotten to take my Motrin that morning?) I was able to see some co-workers that I'd not seen in awhile...and they were very encouraging to me. The weather outside may have been frightful to some, but it was glorious to me. I felt like I was in a snow globe. Every time I passed a window the snow continued to gently fall. When it was time to come home, the snow had stopped, the roads were clear, and the drive was smooth. I spent the day doing something that I love, I helped some people and they helped me, and it felt good. One more thing...when I got home, my wonderful, thoughtful husband had a delicious meal in the oven. The dinner was SO good that my 4 year old, who's pretty picky when it comes to food, gobbled it up without a complaint!!!
Life gets hard. How can we we really know what's around the bend? What do we do when we are faced with trials? I trust in the Lord. He is ALWAYS faithful. HE is ALWAYS FAITHFUL. I am not bound by my circumstances. I am not afraid. I am free. (2 Corinthians 3:17b...and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.)
Here are the words to the song I sang Saturday morning. I wish I could include the music...it's SO good!!! A new sound to an old favorite:
Amazing Grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
Chorus:
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, My Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace
The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures
Chorus
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine
You are forever mine
3 comments:
Michelle,
Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us - the pain and the beauty of God's grace to you and your family. May He continue to uphold you.
Beth
I cried reading this thinking about you and your boy at the table together reading. No doubt that God is using this trial in your family to continue to make them strong and sensitive men of His.
What an answer to prayer. I'm glad that you were able to get back to work. Helping others in practical ways is energizing and encouraging, don't you think?
Hi Michelle,
I love it when we sing that new rendition of Amazing Grace at our church also.
Isn't it amazing that we can praise God in our car, in the snow, with a swollen underarm and He is there in our midst.
Love you,
Stephanie
Post a Comment