Saturday, January 5, 2008

Latest Details on My Treatment

Last week I mentioned a third surgery. The idea of having another surgery and hearing the words, "The margins aren't clear," overwhelmed me. Sitting in my kitchen last Saturday, I just felt the need to get away. To go. Sure, part of me would like to escape all that I am facing, to wipe it away, to 'pray it ain't so.' But that is not the path before me. So, I decided to go where my strength could be renewed and where my 'love tank' could be filled. With my youngest two in tow, I drove two hours north to Grama's house. It would be impossible to share with you ALL the wonderful things God provided for me on that overnight trip, but I would like to share a few.

First, my children were SOOOOO good, except for a small green bean issue at dinner time. Second, a friend brought a dinner over just before I left. Having that available for Sean and the older two boys made it so much easier for me to leave. Third, my love tank was filled to overflowing, both at Grama and Papa's house and in my car (as I had plenty of time to pray, to talk and to sing to my Lord).

So, on Sunday I returned with renewed strength. My circumstances hadn't changed. I still had questions about what was to come, I still had doubts about what surgical choice I would make, I still had no idea what the second oncologist would recommend....but I was no longer overwhelmed. As it says in Philippians 4:4-7: 'Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. '

So on Wednesday, January 2nd, I met with the second oncologist, Dr. M. Sensing my dilemma on how to proceed with my third surgery she said, "You know, there's absolutely no reason why we couldn't just get started with your chemo in the next week or so and wait to do your third surgery. The invasive tumor was removed with your first surgery.....these DCIS's can be dealt with later. That will give you time to have your breast MRI and some other tests done, so that you can feel more at ease and more confident in how to proceed with your third surgery." WOW!! It made sense to me and it lifted a huge burden.

So, by the end of next week I will have completed my first round of Taxol/Herceptin. I will continue that once/week for 12 weeks. By then I should have all the information I need to make a decision regarding my next surgery. I will continue Herceptin once every three weeks for a year. I will also begin taking tamoxifen (which is in pill form).

Dr. M pointed out that although it's wonderful that I caught my breast cancer early, I'm in a difficult situation. Most of the breast cancer trials/studies available haven't included women like me. Most studies include women who have lymph node involvement and/or women whose tumors are much larger than mine. Therefore, I could get a various assortment of suggestions from different oncologists regarding how to treat my particular situation. Some may want to play it safe and 'throw the book' at it by treating me with everything they've got. Some may say surgery is all I need. Dr. M tends to be somewhere in the middle. She doesn't see the need to 'throw the whole book' at me, considering the lymph nodes were not involved. Doing so puts me at risk for many other issues/side effects down the road. But she does believe that some chemotherapy is necessary secondary to the Her2 cells present on the invasive cancer.

So, I feel comfortable moving forward with Dr. M's plan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Even the storms bear a message of encouragement for us: Deeper roots make for stronger lives." by Chuck Swindoll
"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power...to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ." Esp. 3:17
Love always,
Mom

Monica said...

I'm glad that you have a plan before you. I'll be praying for you as you begin this treatment- that the side effects will be minimal and that the chemo will do its thing.

Will you still be joining us this weekend in Brown County?

Anonymous said...

Sweet Michelle,
Mr. Griffin referred me to this blog. I am overcome with so many emotions as I read. Awe...as I see your beautiful faith, Pain...as I imagine what you are going through, Love... for our amazing Father who holds us in His perfect hands. I see you in His hands now, His loving, compassionate, strong, comforting hands. We are praying for you and your family. Thank you for taking the time to share what's going on. If there is anything we can do from Oklahoma, please let us know.
Blessings to you!
Dawn (for the Davis')