Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Best Barber

I've taken all of my boys for their first haircuts. What a sweet memory of them sitting in the big chair, wrapped in their smocks, eyes wide open and then sometimes shut tight as the beautician trimmed away their baby hairs that had grown for so long. Each one emerged as a new creation....no longer my babies, but toddlers. Ready to take on the world with attitude!

Well last week, I experienced my 'first' haircut since chemotherapy. I sat in a big chair and was wrapped in a smock. Sometimes my eyes were wide open and then sometimes shut as the barber trimmed around my tender ears. My hair hasn't been growing for too long, but it was becoming unruly on the borders. It needed a pick me up.

The best part of the ENTIRE experience was having my new hairs trimmed by the Best and Most Seasoned Barber in Broadripple.....my Grampa Jude! He is so dear to me! Grampa, who is in his eighties, continues to work three days each week at the barber shop. He's been cutting some of his patron's hairs for over 50 years!!

I surprised him when I walked in after my dad on that Monday afternoon. He didn't hesitate to help me out. He trimmed my frizzled fringes and had me looking good again. I walked out of there ready to take on the world! Thank you, Grampa!

And, Dad, thank you for the wonderful trip there and back on your motorcycle! I really enjoyed your company and the sweet ride!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a totally cool day! You are blessed to have such a wonderful family and memories to cherish.

-Melissa

jan said...

How fun! A motorcycle ride. I love your short hair, btw. It's so cute and makes you look quite young!