Yesterday was the Women's Slow-Pitch Softball Tournament. It was wonderful! The Sweet Melissa Foundation did an excellent job organizing everything. There were twelve teams all together. The weather was PERFECT!!
One thing many of my team members realized as the day progressed.....our bodies ain't what they used to be!!! The problem was that our minds weren't aware of this dilemma. On one occasion there was a fly ball coming into the outfield, right between me and my friend Julie. I ran toward it like I would have twenty years ago, truly convinced that I could catch it. HA!! The ball went right on past me while I continued running. Of course, now I was going in the wrong direction, but I couldn't stop myself. In fact, I was certain that at any moment I would tumble head over heals and eventually find myself flat on the ground or, worse yet, smashed into the fence. Whew! It was close. I used every muscle fiber in my legs that hasn't been used for the last 10 years to slow down. And today...I'm paying for it. Ouch! But it's okay. It was SO MUCH FUN!!!
Team Chellebugs didn't come home with the winning trophy, but we had a lot of fun trying!
To my Teammates (in order of how long I've known you):
Thank you, Kelly, Kris and Angie!! (37 years) .....
Thank you, Julie and Caryn!! (~32 years) .....
Thank you, Alicia (22 years) and McKenzie (18 years)!! ....
Thank you, Sandy (19 years)!!.....
Thank you, Celia (13 years) and Ursula (12 years)!!......
Thank you, Ronda (~9 years) and Cindy (~1 year)!!.....
Thank you, Mary Beth, April and Alicia (for coming out and supporting me even though we'd never met before)!!
To my 'Support Staff' (:)):
Thank you Dad and Mike for coaching!! Thanks for making me sit the bench from time to time, too. That was a good idea! Thank you Mike for helping Mom with the scorekeeping. Thank you Mom for being our cheerleader and supplier of all things (bubble gum, sunscreen, drinks!!). Thank you Riley for being the best bat girl! And thank you, Tiffini, Miriam, Erin, Jeff, and Kevin for hanging out at the diamonds all day! And Sean....you are my all time #1 favorite fan....Thank you for helping me be a part of this day! And Thank you to so many more of you who came out during the day to watch the event. And finally, thank you to those who supported the event with your time, your talents and your treasures.
Well, now I must try to get up from this chair and get to bed. It'll be hard. This body of mine ain't what it used to be. Every muscle from head to toe is screaming with every move I make!!
1 comment:
Michelle-
You were awesome out there. I was worried that you were not going to stop when you went after that ball. I'm glad that after all these years, we finally had a chance to play on the same team. It was fun playing with all of my sisters and my sister in law. The day was wonderful and you were such an encouragement to all of those in attendance. When you threw out the first pitch, I realized at that point, I could have lost you to this dreaded cancer. You have been so strong and brave throughout this entire battle. God has truly given you strength.
Love, your big sis, Kelly
Post a Comment