Monday, November 26, 2007

Who's Driving this Car?

I'm a pretty good driver....for the most part. If you're a relative of mine you may have a different perspective on that. It's been a while (although the memories have not faded for some) since I backed into my mother-in-law's car, or forgot to put my van in park and then watched it slowly crunch into my mom and dad's new garage door, or scraped up against my husband's brand new truck......oops!


When it comes to 'driving' through life, I'd rather not be behind the wheel. I tried that once, for an extended period of time, and found myself in a hopeless state. I was alive, but I felt dead inside. I was pretty much just living for myself. It's been many years since then and I've learned some lessons:


Lesson #1: I'm taking God with me wherever I go.
Lesson #2: If I'm really smart, I'll let Him drive.
Lesson #3: There's no need to worry when He's behind the wheel.
Lesson #4: If I don't like the road I'm on, make sure I'm heeding lesson #2, and then refer to Lesson #3.


Since the moment I was initially told that I had breast cancer, my lessons learned were put into action. Not expecting the kind of news I was hearing, and not having anyone with me, I decided right then and there that I needed to pray. My radiologist was caught by surprise when I asked him to pray with me. I held onto his hand and just poured out my heart to God. When I was done, and to my delight, he prayed too!!! And since that moment many of my friends and family, and others that I do not even know, have been praying for me and with me.


I am doing well. It's as if a huge bubble of God's peace is surrounding me and protecting me. I'd like to stay there. A friend encouraged me to never doubt in the dark what God has spoken to my heart in the light. I will hold onto that and will cling desperately to His truths when the dark times come.


And I will let Him stay behind the driver's seat.


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all of your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5,6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
I feel privileged to meet you in the blogging world. It's such a great place to get to know each other better, to pour out our real hearts and just be honest about our journey through life. And someday be able to look back on our words and remember with more clarity. I have been praying and will continue. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Tonya Rea said...

I just read this in my quiet time this morning from Streams in the Desert. I thought it might be encouraging.

"May we continue to persevere, for even if we took our circumstances and cast all the darkness of human doubt upon them and then hastily piled as many difficulties together as we could find against God's divine work, we could never move beyond the blessedness of His miracle-working power. May we place our faith completely in Him, for He is the God of the impossible."

My kids and I prayed for you before our school day started. We will continue to lift you up to our Lord throughout your journey.

I am thankful Stephanie shared your information with us so we can be praying for you.