Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes

On New Year's Eve, our church was having an hour of prayer and blessing. A time when you could come forward to the front of the church and a pastor/elder and his wife would pray for you. There wasn't any fanfare or hoopla. People came and lined up in the center aisle. There were four pastors/elders and their wives spread out across the altar. When you were next in line you would just go to whichever pair of prayer warriors became available.

In the physical, it looked like a quiet time, a somewhat serene moment. Prayers were quietly spoken, hands were held, tears were shed, hugs were given, and hearts were lifted. But in the spiritual world, I believe that battles were being fought in the heavenlies.

'So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.' II Corinthians 4:18
'We live by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7
'In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.' Romans 8:26-27

When it was time for our family to go forward, the next prayer warriors available were our Head Pastor and his wife. For some reason, I always get emotional when in the presence of these two wonderful people. And this moment was not any different. I couldn't even speak, knowing that if I did the fountain of tears and burdens of my heart would overflow from the depths of my soul. Sean spoke and asked for prayer for our family. Pastor prayed and just as it is written in James 5:16, 'the prayer of [this] righteous man [was] powerful and effective.' And I know that battles were won in the heavenlies.

As we were about to leave, my six year old Parker earnestly and effectively got the attention of our Pastor. (Anyone who knows Parker, knows that he earnestly tries to get the attention of anyone who will listen! And as his mother, I often hold my breath just moments for he speaks. I'm just never sure what revelations or interjections this passionate boy of mine may make.) Well, Pastor knelt down to get to Parker's eye level. Then, out of the mouth of a babe, came these precious words.

"I have this music tape that has some scriptures in it. There's this one that says, "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless his holy name. Psalms 103 verse one. "

I think Parker hit the nail on the head with that! No matter what 2008 may bring, that verse (and song) will remind me of an important truth. I will continue to bless my Lord and praise His name with ALL that is within me.

Here are verses 1-5 from the NIV version:
Praise the Lord, O my soul, all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, O my soul, and FORGET NOT ALL HIS BENEFITS---
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Wow! That word was intended for you was it not? I love it that Parker has the boldness to speak up and speak the truth. I don't doubt that God is going to use him again and again in your life and the lives of many.

I hope that your time away was all that you needed it to be. So glad that you have a place to go to think.

We prayed for you again at church Sunday evening and for God's wisdom as you face the decisions upcoming.

Ann Bilodeau said...

Hi Michelle...I knew when I first met you at Winona that you are a classy and lovely person. I recently learned of your cancer and am joining your legion of friends and family as you battle this disease. YOu are amazing! I have enjoyed reading your blog- so full of insight and humor. I am looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month. Take care...with love, Ann Burford Bilodeau