Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Vivian's 5-Day Pineapple Upside Down Cake

If there's one thing I loved most about my great grandma, it was how she could tell a story. She had the knack for drawing you in, giving just enough information, knowing when to pause, and when to sum it all up. There was rarely a time when her stories didn't include her humor and her wit.

The following is a story that Grandma Vivian told me in September, 2005. On this day were were celebrating her son Jude's 80th birthday. Now, to be fair, my memory's not always the sharpest when it comes to details, but I'll try to remember it the way it happened.

Grandma: Hey, have you tried my 5-Day Pineapple Upside-Down Cake?
Me: Not yet.......how do you make a a 5-Day Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, Grandma?
Grandma: Well, I'll tell you. You see, on DAY ONE, I looked around my kitchen to see what ingredients I needed to buy. I had only one egg and the recipe called for two. And, I was out of crushed pineapple.......but I heard that the Dollar General down the way had some fresh cans in stock.
Me: When did you get the crushed pineapple, Grandma?
Grandma: On DAY TWO. You should of seen the lady at the check out when I told her I was making my son's favorite dessert for his 80th birthday. She looked at me and asked, "His 80th birthday? Well, how old are you?" I told her......98.....and walked out of the store. I think she was surprised to see me drive myself away.
Me: I'm sure she was, Grandma. I bet she'll never forget you.
Grandma: So, on DAY THREE, I borrowed two eggs from my neighbor.
Me: Why two eggs, Grandma? I thought you already had one and just needed one more.
Grandma: Well, what do you think I had for breakfast that morning?
Me: Oh.........
Grandma: Well, on DAY FOUR, I got out my mixing bowls and pans. Then, this morning..... which was DAY FIVE........ I had that cake out of the oven before 9:00 a.m. And it's in the kitchen if you want to give it a try.
Me: I can't wait.

Every time I think of that story, I think about how a mother, even at the age of 98, desires to share her love with her child. I think of my independent, energetic, and witty Great Grandma who loved to perform, loved to bring us together with games, and loved the Pacers SO much that each year she would cover her apartment door with every single newspaper picture about them that she could find (oh, would she be disappointed in them today!). She stopped driving her car just a few months after that birthday celebration in September 2005. She'd always said that when she gave up her car, then she'd be giving up her independence. It was only a few months after she'd 'turned in her keys', that she passed away in March 2006.

Grandma's 5-Day Pineapple Upside Down Cake also reminds me that it's okay to slow down. Waiting can be good. Taking as much delight in the process as in the end result can be very fulfilling. Who knows who I might meet along the way? Who knows what I'll learn? If I try to do it too quickly, chances are I'll miss something important. I might still get the same 'end' result......like a pineapple upside cake....but maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I would have enjoyed it had I just slowed down a little bit. And of course, if I take my time.....I may have a much more interesting story to tell when I get done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- I was thinking of Great Grandma yesterday also and telling someone that same story. You are right we need to slow down and smell the roses, hug our kids, share a smile and encourage someone. Michelle, you are such an encourager. With everything that you are going through, you still find a way to encourage all of us. God is using you in such a mighty way. I am so proud of my little sister and I love you.
Your big sis, Kelly

Monica said...

I love this story. Yes, there is something to be said for taking life a little slower than we do. That's where the living happens- the journey, not the destination.

Praying for you and your appointment tomorrow. Take a deep breathe and feel yourself being held tonight by the One who Loves you more than anything.

Anonymous said...

Michelle
Thinking of you!
I will always remember when Grandma was on her final journey, you took time away from your family to help make her more comfortable. God will take care of you, I'm sure of it. Your faith will see you through.
Your courage is to be admired.
Cousin - Cindy

jan said...

Hi Michelle-
I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I wish I could think of the right word to describe you, the way you write, your relationship with the Lord and how you're dealing with cancer.
Proud? No, I'm not your mom.
Impressed? Sounds trite.
Maybe inspired? Encouraged?
All I can say is that it is wonderful to see the way you're handling everything. Your faith is amazing. Your sons are blessed to have such a good mamma.
Jesus bless you Michelle.
Judy