Saturday, February 9, 2008

Goodbye "Ben" and "Dex"

Parting really is sweet sorrow. I've only known 'Ben' and 'Dex' for a few weeks, but they really were nice companions. 'Ben' was good at keeping me relaxed in the midst of chaos and 'Dex' had a knack for picking me up and getting me going.

If you're a little confused....let me explain. I'm referring to the wonderful medicinal 'cocktail' I received prior to my chemo drugs, which consisted of benadryl and dexamethasone. Both of these drugs were administered to help prevent allergic reactions to Taxol. But apparently, I gave them a run for their money (whew, ain't that the truth!) since I continued to have allergic reactions despite their ever-presence coursing through my veins.

With the switch to Abraxane, there is no risk for allergic reactions....hence, no need for the pre-med-'cocktail.' I thought I would be able to say goodbye to 'Ben' and 'Dex' without looking back. But today (one day after my infusion) I'm realizing that there were some benefits, especially with 'Dex.' True, Dex kept me up most of the night, but rather than feeling tired and sleepy, I was always ready to go the day after chemo. Apparently, one of the 'bonus' side effects of dex is the somewhat 'euphoric' state it temporarily provides.

I will miss that extra 'pick me up' I get the day after chemo......but in the long run, it sure was nice to sleep ALL night last night. AND, I am very, very, very, VERY relieved that I shall not have to face another allergic reaction to Taxol.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Yeah!! I'm glad that there was a solution to this problem. I can't imagine what a relief it must be.