My mom has always had an interesting and colorful vocabulary using words like 'whatnot,' 'doodge-a-ma-flops,' and 'thing-a-ma-jigs.' They are comforting words to me....reminders of days gone by. They feel at home in my mouth but I've tried for years to keep a 'lid' on them. Typically, words like that are met with chuckles and strange looks when uttered by a younger generation. (I still include myself in the 'younger' generation, whether I really am or not!) Yet the older I get, the more I find those words slipping out during conversations. It just can't be helped.
This past month I've had a whirlwind of activity with doctor's appointments, chemotherapy infusions, tests and whatnot. Since finding out that I would need a double mastectomy on my thing-a-ma-jigs, I've been researching my options for reconstruction. The Wellness Center, near Keystone at the Crossing, had a panel discussion of women who'd had mastectomies and who'd chosen various options for reconstruction. Very timely for me! After the discussion, there was a private show-n-tell session for women who wanted to see the results of the surgeries. Now that may sound odd to you, but for someone like me who's looked at hundreds of pictures of reconstruction, it was a great opportunity. Pictures just don't tell the whole story. I tip my hat off to those brave ladies who humbly showed me their new 'thing-a-ma-bobs.'
Based on my circumstances, I've decided to delay reconstruction. Whether that will be for 2 months or 10 years.....I do not know. Initially, I felt this HUGE pressure to figure it all out before I had my surgery. But now I realize that this decision can wait for as long as I want it to. That's a relief to me. One main reason for delaying reconstruction is that I may need to undergo radiation therapy on my right side after my surgery. Radiation has a powerful effect on the skin and underlying tissues in which it is directed. This has the potential of deforming any reconstruction that has taken place.
Okay, enough talk about that! On to other 'what-cha-ma-call-its' and 'do-hickeys'.....
Considering the unexpected results of my breast MRI (with the involvement of my lymph nodes on my right side), my oncologist and I have decided that it would be wise to have some further tests run. Next week I will have a bone scan and some CAT scans to have a better 'look-see' at the rest of my body. We are praying that no abnormalities, anomalies or doodge-a-ma-flops will show up.
And what about my hair? Well, it is 'fur sure and fur certain' ....(I just finished listening to Part 1 of Beverly Lewis' novel, The Parting....which is about an Amish family).... that I will be losing it all in the next week or two. The thinning out process began on day 17 and has continued ever since. I've always maintained that I was born for the '80's. I have an ENORMOUS amount of hair on my head. I never had to work for 'big hair,' never had to tease my 'bangs' or any part of my hair to make it full. Once the 80's ended, I was in trouble. For the past 18 years I've tried everything I could to get my hair to look thinner. Well, I couldn't do any of the time consuming things, like using a straightening iron......there's no time for that when you're raising four boys AND when enjoy an extra hour of sleep every morning. I never thought of chemotherapy as the solution. But here I am, thinning out every day. It'll grow back.....eventually. In the mean time, I'll be composing my third rendition of 'Ode to My Hair.'
Well, that's about it for me today. Let me know if you have other expressions that your mother or grandmother used to say so I can add it to my repertoire (but, keep it clean! :)).
*********
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40: 28-31
3 comments:
I believe the "hairs" on your do ga ma flop" are numbered. And to think that I was a good English student just like you. God still desire to impact our generation with remarkable families of faith--that includes you and your family. I love you my Chellebug.
Mom
Michelle,
I had lunch with Caryn on Monday and she explained to me what you are living through right now. I have read your blog and I am not surprised to find you facing this head on with a terrific sense of humor and with such a positive attitude.
Of course we reminisced about our high school years and how much fun we all had playing golf and our unchaperoned trip to Daytona. What were our parents thinking? I will never let my boys do that! haha...I think back at those years and how innocent we all were and how blessed we all were to have such loving families and friends surrounding us through our "trying teenage years." And, we are still blessed to have them. I will continue to read your blog. You are a tremendous writer! It made me chuckle to think of you and your sisters shopping for wigs. Knowing how silly you all are I am sure you found it comforting to find laughter during that time.
I think of you often and you are in my prayers.
With much love,
Maggie Rockwell (Booth)
Michelle,
Isn't it wonderful to have such loving friends & family. I had a day out with my sisters shopping too. We were shopping for hats. I remember it was dark and we were walking on the sidewalk. I was in front of Marcie and Michelle (wearing my bandana) They both were saying how they couldn't see at night and were concerned about who was going to drive. I said " I can see fine at night, I can drive" without thinking about what Michelle was saying, she said "Oh Missy you are so lucky" I turned around with a sarcastic grin and said, "Oh Yes Michelle I am so Lucky" We still laugh about it today.
I just know you will get through this. I know your family will be by your side the whole way. You are loved by so many , who are praying for you everyday. I am always here for you!!!!!!
You are such a wonderful writer and I do believe you could write a book. I wish I had that talent. Well, much love to you!
Post a Comment