When first diagnosed with breast cancer, I welcomed the peace that God gave me in the midst of the turmoil. It's not something I could 'muster' up on my own. It's not easy to desribe, but that hasn't kept me from trying.........
It's kind of like being a hamster in one of those big round balls and running all over the place.......bumping into this and that without coming to any harm. The dog can't eat it, the kids can't squeeze it, and it won't get lost. Hmmmm....not the greatest analogy. It's hard to get past the whole idea of being a hamster, isn't it? I'm sure a hamster, if it could, would have a hard time describing its ' forced containment' in the ball as anything similar to peace.
Thankfully, my friend, Cara, sent me a letter from Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, in which he describes 'that perfect peace.' I connected with his analogy and today I'd like to share that picture with you. Many people that I know have recently experienced much turmoil in their own lives....the death of loved ones, health issues, relationship issues, work issues.......you name it....And my prayer is that they will experience 'that perfect peace' that Mr. Bright describes below:
*****
Dear friends:
Long ago a man sought the perfect picture of peace. Not finding one that truly satisfied, the man announced a contest to produce this masterpiece.
This challenge stirred the imagination of artists everywhere, and paintings arrived from far and wide. Finally, the great day of revelation arrived. The judges uncovered one peaceful scene after another, while the viewers clapped and cheered.
The tensions grew. Only two pictures remained veiled. As a judge pulled the cover from one, a hush fell over the crowd. A mirror-smooth lake reflected beautiful, green birches under the soft blush of the evening sky. Along the grassy shore, a flock of sheep grazed undisturbed. Surely this was the winner.
Finally, the very last entry was uncovered by the artist himself, and the crowd gasped in surprise. Could this be peace?
The painting showed a tumultuous waterfall cascading down a rocky precipice. The crowd could almost feel its cold, penetrating spray. Stormy, gray clouds threatened to explode with lightning, wind and rain. In the midst of the thundering noises and bitter chill, a spindly little tree clung to the rocks at the edge of the falls. One of its branches reached out in front of the torrential waters as if foolishly seeking to experience its full power. In the elbow of that branch, a little bird had built a nest. Content and undisturbed in her stormy surroundings, she rested on her eggs. With her eyes closed and her wings ready to cover her little ones, she manifested a peace that transcends all earthly worry.
Like that little bird, we live in a world of great turmoil and stormy surroundings. Strife, violence, and uncertainty are all around us, constantly threatening to overwhelm us. We are tiny and we seem so vulnerable to the powerful and destructive forces of the world.
Yet in the midst of that, God gave us His supernatural peace. Our Lord tells us, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27, NIV).
We know that peace is God's will for us. Most of the New Testament letters, each word inspired by the Holy Spirit, begin with something like "Grace and peace to you."
Always remember, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).
Yours for fulfilling the Great Commission
each year until our Lord returns,
Bill Bright
(Taken from: http://www.crosswalk.com/1148922/
*********
The picture of that mother bird on her nest is a much closer image of God's perfect peace (Adios, little hamster!). I'm thankful that He continues to be faithful to me in his provision. I've had some moments of anxiety....that is true. But when I follow the prescription of Philippians 4:6-7, I find myself in a place that I long to be. And I can only thank my Lord for it. And I pray that you would experience His peace in the midst of the difficulties that you are facing.
This week, I return for my 5th chemotherapy infusion. My oncologist has switched my Taxol to a different form...Abraxane....which does not produce allergic reactions. So, NO MORE 'elephants' on my chest!!!
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing that picture. It gave me the kind of bumps that geese get. I also just wanted to share with you that everyone at my care group now knows that you are indeed a Mental Winner!!
Yes, what an awesome testimony of peace. You are truly experiencing the scenery and moving through with such a light of Jesus' Peace. Continue to nurture yourself in HIM. Love ya, Kristin
Post a Comment