My wonderful, gracious, and patient mother-in-law......may she be awarded a special medal of honor!!!.......anyway, as I was saying......My wonderful, kind, generous mother-in-law offered to watch my younger two boys for me while I healed up from my surgery.
So on Monday, April 28th, Sean and I met her on the north side of town. She drove over an hour to pick up my babies (okay, so they're 4 and 6....they're still my babies), and then whisked them away while visions of 'sugarplums' danced in their heads. You see the best things about Grama's house, besides Grama and Papa, are the endless reserves of Popsicles and homemade cookies.
At the end of each week, I'd call to talk to the boys and to check in with Grama. At the end of each call, the conversation would go something like this:
Me: Well, I'm doing a little better. When do you want us to pick up the boys?
Grama: Michelle (long pause), are you sure? I'll keep them another week if you need me to.
Me: (Long pause......tears beginning to form in my eyes....throat swelling as I attempt to hold back my emotions)....Are you sure?
Grama: Yes, I'm sure.
Me: (Crying)....Okay......
So, it's been almost THREE weeks. I have missed those boys. I couldn't stand it any longer. So, we drove up north today and picked them up. My how they have grown!!!! I just had to share the conversations Grama heard from my boys:
Parker: Grama, you have two chins!
(Grama was....well....a bit speechless. Before she could respond, Brenner said.......)
Brenner: Well, not really Parker. Really, it's only one.
******
Parker: Don't you know, Grama, they make cream nowadays for those wrinkles. You put it on and ...... poof!
******
Papa was going mushroom hunting with his special mushroom stick. Brenner, who still says the /d/ sound for the /st/ sound said, "Papa, let me see your /st/ick." Papa looked at him a bit confused. Brenner said it again, more emphatically, "Papa.....let me see your /st/ick!" Luckily, Grama was nearby and could translate for Papa.....before Papa thought to wash Brenner's mouth out with soap!!!!!
******
Brenner: Is Papa the boss of this house?
Grama: Yes.
Brenner: So.....you're the boss of Papa? And........you're the boss of the cat and Papa's the boss of the dog.
******
Brenner developed an itchy rash on his face and trunk (probably poison ivy from all the rolling around in the grass and running through the fir trees). So, Grama gave him plenty of oatmeal baths. On his last night, while lying on his back as he soaked in the tub, Brenner produced a matter-of-fact statement while demonstrating what his 'boy part' could do: "You know, Grama, it stretches."
******
Grama: I'm going to really miss you boys.
Brenner: Well, Grama, I will be in your heart and I will be in Papa's heart.
******
Parker: (When he found out he was coming back home....) I've had fun Grama, but I've got to get home and get some rest. All of this rough-housing has tuckered me out.
******
Parker: (When he saw me today) Yeah, Mommy, I taught Grama everything she didn't know.
Well, it's good to have ALL my boys home again. How I've missed them! I've re-thought the medal of honor that Grama should get. Really, when you think about it, she's had to outwit, outplay, and outlast a 4 year old and a 6 year old for over 20 days. She's the Ultimate Survivor. I'm sorry I don't have a million dollars to give you, Saundra.......but I know there are treasures in heaven just waiting for you!!!!!!
********
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where, moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21
5 comments:
I am crying that is so funny!! I can so picture your boys saying these things. The funniest part is that they have no idea how hysterical they are! Aren't you glad they said these things to their grandparents instead of someone else?:)
Glad your boys are back home again. That must feel so good. Happy healing to you.
How blessed you are to have such a wonderful woman in your life. And what courage you have. You are the inspiration. It's nice to "meet" you. :)
You've been in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your stories. This one sure is funny. Grandma and Grandpa have a special place in their hearts and they will always think of them with love and admiration.
Being a parent and having a close friend going thru a healing time similar to yours with young ones in tow, I sure do admire your strength, willingness to share and the courage to do what it takes to receive healing.
I will never forget the love you gave our grandma by staying with her while she was going through her last days here on earth. I'm sure she must have really appreciated the loving way you took care of her. By sacrificing your time and sleep, you gave others a chance to get some rest. I am very thankful to you. I envision a big jewel in your crown for such a act of service/caring/love.
As you walk through these hard times, remember the story about God telling Moses to get a specific stick to throw into the bitter water and it became sweet. The people, who had not had anything to drink for three days in the desert, then were able to drink and become restored. Sometimes, God gives us specific things to do that may not make sense in the natural but when we are obedient, God makes a way.
I love you!
Bruce
Oh Michelle... they are too funny!!
That is wonderful that the grandparents were willing and able to share this time with the boys while you heal!
Thinking of you LOTS! :)
Seth and I were cracking up. We can picture the look on Papaws face when Brenner said that to him. That is a gem of a story.
Melissa
Post a Comment