Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Turtle Chelle

Slowly.......in fact, too slowly......I'm recovering from my surgeries. Yesterday, I was trying to explain to Sean how strange I feel. And it dawned on me.....turtle shell.

I feel as if I've acquired a turtle shell around my rib cage. It's very restrictive. Certainly, this will go away as my body continues to heal, but in the meantime, I have this odd 'shell-like' feeling on my trunk......like an extra rib cage.....or like a suite of armor that I can't take off. Hmmm....Maybe I could pass for the fifth Ninja Turtle?.......Wouldn't my boys like that!!! Cowabunga Dude!!!

Well, now that you're envisioning me as Leonardo, Michelangelo or Donatello (what's the name of the fourth one?), let me switch gears........

There's a strange comfort I find in my turtle shell. I can use it as a good excuse to shut myself off from the world around me. I can tuck my little head and arms in and 'hide.' I could easily find myself retreating into the isolation this temporary shell has to offer me. But I have to ask myself? Why? What good would that do? To whom would that serve? And if I find temporary comfort in escaping from the world around me, who's to say that I would ever want to come out again?

Don't worry, I'm not falling into a depression. Well, maybe I did take a little 'dip' this week. It's not too hard to travel down that road. Escaping....hiding.....isolating oneself......It does have it's appeal...for the short run. But in the long run, it's a very dangerous road to travel.

If you're there, or have been there, you know what I'm talking about. I'm not a doctor. I don't have all the right answers or solutions, but I do know that the only one who benefits from our depression....the only one who cheers us on to take a deeper step into the 'Pit of Despair' (you have to say that like the guy in Princess Bride)........the only benefactor is satan.

If you find yourself carrying around your own 'spiritual' or 'emotional' turtle shell this week, I just want to encourage you to call a friend. Poke your head out......and see that not all is lost. Reach your arms out......and find comfort in companionship. Take a step out of the pit......and discover that satan is a liar.

*******
"The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you." Romans 16:20

"But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved." Hebrews 10:39

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are YOU. There is only one YOU. And YOU are important not only to our family but to all of those you are being touched with your writings on this Blog. God made YOU to be just who He needed for this time. Keep on fighting the "good fight." You are not in this alone. May He continue to inspire you as you inspire others. We love you Chelle.
Love,
Mom and Dad