My family has been so blessed during this journey with wonderful homecooked meals from many people. I can not begin to explain how much they lifted a burden during the more intense times of my treatment. We even had several meals come precooked and ready for the freezer so that we could pull them out whenever we needed them.
Of course, the boys haven't always seen these gestures of love as favorable. There's something about seeing food prepared in a way you've never had it that can really mess with a kid's palate. Overall, I'd say they did well, though. I never did have to make something different for them to eat....though on occasion I did have to butter some extra pieces of bread! :)
A few months ago, the boys started mentioning that they really missed the meals that I cooked. As sweet as that was to hear, I had to laugh because cooking has never been one of my strengths. Even Sean was a little perplexed when he heard their requests. He should know. He grew up with a mom who could make a feast out of nothing, and then he married me....As long as I keep a good supply of ketchup, barbeque sauce and soy sauce handy, Sean is content with whatever I make. Bless him, Lord, for being so gracious to me!
Tonight, I made one of their all time favorites. It's called 'Snakes, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails.' Honestly, I have no idea why we named it that. It's a mixture of peas, rice and pieces of polska kielbalsa. There's still controversy at the table as to which ingredients are the snakes, which are the snails, and which are the puppy dog tails. How sweet it was to see my Parker's eyes light up when he saw what I was cooking! With great anticipation, he ran to tell all of his brothers.
We sat at the table. All six of us. Five of us barely able to keep our forks out of our bowls before the prayer.
Then after we prayed, the sixth said....with a smile...."Could you pass the soy sauce, please?"
3 comments:
You are such a gifted writer! Thanks for the smiles and the encouragement! Your life is a blessing to many.
Dawn (Warkins) Davis
This was so funny!
My # 6 puts hot sauce on most of my weird meals!
I'm so glad I found your blog. You mentioned you had found mine at the music camp performance, but didnt' say you had one. I can relate with the whole cooking thing!
Post a Comment