Friday, March 14, 2008

BRCA 1/BRCA 2

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5,6

A few weeks ago I visited a genetic counselor. They looked at my family tree and any history of cancer. After a lengthy discussion of the possibilities, my blood was drawn and sent off for testing to see if I'm a carrier for the BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 gene. Based on my family tree, I'm no different than the general population of women, which makes my initial risk 5%. But since I already have breast cancer, my risk increases to 10%.

When a woman carries the BRCA1/BRCA2 gene her risk for ovarian cancer increases to 40-60%. So most women opt for a hysterectomy if they are a carrier.

Today, Sean and I are returning to the geneticist. We'll find out the results of the test which could fall under these three categories: Yes, No, or Indeterminate. (I know I'm not using the proper word for that last one....but you get the idea). I placed the results in God's hands weeks ago when I submitted my blood because I believe He is sovereign over my life. He knew what the results would be before my blood was even drawn. Of course, I've pleaded my case with Him and shared my heart, but I know that ultimately He is in control. And through Jesus Christ who gives me strength, I can do all things.

So I trust in the Lord with all of my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. I acknowledge Him in all of my ways and know that regardless of the results, God will lead me down the path that I am to follow.

*********

1 comment:

Monica said...

Keeping you in prayer. It's amazing to me that "science" has come to the point that it can pin down specific genes and relate them to future possibilities. And you're right, God knew all along; in fact it was His design.

Wisdom and peace be yours, my friend.