Today I woke up with the desire to do something fun with the boys. Only a few more days before my surgery and I didn't want to spend our day inside. Sean was definitely on board with this idea, so we surprised the boys with a trip to Turkey Run State Park where we went hiking and canoeing. After complete exhaustion, we stopped at our favorite pizza and ice cream shop (which is right across from the Turkey Run Campground). We had a fantastic time. We saw so many turtles, baby geese that looked to be no more than a day old getting into Sugar Creek for what may have been their first swim, a muskrat, a beautiful swarm of yellow butterflies, a snake, and many birds. I am wiped out tonight. It feels good to have achy muscles in my ankles and legs and arms which I haven't felt for some time.
What I wanted to share was just how unique my boys are. Sean and I were laughing about it as we set out today. We told the boys what we were doing and told them to pack some extra clothes in their back packs, to go 'potty,' and to get into the truck. This is how it unfolded:
Spencer, the Firstborn, The Man with a Plan: He did everything in order and added some extras to make the trip fun for him. He got his backpack and his clothes. He went to the bathroom, picked up some field guides on birds, spiders, and insects, and got into the truck.
Trevor, the Secondborn, Mr. Simple Bare-Necessities: He heard clothes and bag and truck. He grabbed his clothes and put them in a grocery paper bag and started to get into the truck. Then daddy said, 'Not that kind of bag. Get your backpack.' So Trevor put the paper bag away and grabbed a plastic bag. 'No, Trevor, your back pack!' So, after some minor grumbling, he put his clothes into Spencer's backpack. Spencer, The Man with a Plan, reminded him to go potty before getting into the truck.
Parker, the Thirdborn, The Dreamer: Found his backpack full of drawings and crayons. Sat on the floor pulling out each individual drawing.....one..by..one..by..one........"Oh, isn't this one nice, mommy." So, mommy pulled everything out of the bag and sent him upstairs to get his second set of clothes. Finding him on the floor of his room, lost in his own thoughts as he was slowly pulling clothes out of his drawers and setting them down. "Actually, mommy, I need two pair of socks, not one. See, I don't have any socks on my feet yet." "Yes, I see that, Parker," I say. Meanwhile......
Brenner, the Lastborn, Mr. Independent: He'd already found his hiking boots in the garage. He'd already filled his backpack to the brim. "What do you have in there, Brenner?" "I have extra shirts, extra pants, extra socks, and my toothbrush," he says. "But we're not spending the night their, buddy. You don't need your toothbrush. We're just going for the day." Our adventure boy was not happy that this trip would end with him back in his own bed tonight!
Just before taking off, I did a quick check to make sure everyone got what they needed and had visited the potty. When I asked Brenner if he'd gotten an extra pair of shorts, he started to cry, "No, mommy. You said 'pants.' I didn't get any shorts. I got pants." Oh my! Obviously, pants were fine by me, but I nearly sent my detail-oriented boy into a panic!!!
*******
I wanted to send a special thank you to my homeschool co-op. I was unable to attend our group's Year End Program last night, mainly because I had to stay home with Parker who'd had the stomach flu (we think) the day before and had slept most of Friday. Anyway, Sean and the other boys attended and they came home with the most beautiful white roses for me from the group. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
4 comments:
I loved your description of the boys! :)
I keep wanting to make it up to Turkey Run. I'll have to check out the pizza and ice cream while we're there! :)
Today is your D Day. His Delight is in you. His Deliverance is for you. His Decisions are being made for you. His Desire is for you and His Direction for this day. May your God hold you ever so close this morning and through out the day. Effectiveness--sometimes greatness--awaits those who refuse to run scared. As a family, we await is greatness for you this day. We love you.
Mom and Dad
I'm so glad that you had some away time with your family. Some of my favorite memories are of canoing on Sugar Creek.
Praying for you this week. Blessings to you, Michelle. May you know God's peace and feel the presence of His Healing Hands in the coming days. Enjoy sleeping in your own bed without nurses waking you up every four hours:)
Michelle... I just love this blog!! You did a wonderful job describing your precious boys.
Please know that I am praying for you often! I have really appreciated getting the updates From Tiffini, so I know exactly how to pray.
Love you
Post a Comment