I just got back from my first treatment with Herceptin alone. Piece of Cake (so far)!!!!! For the rest of the year I will be receiving this treatment every 3 weeks. It takes longer to drive there and back then it takes to get the infusion.
Why Herceptin and Why so long? (WARNING...the following paragraph contains boring details!!!!!) Herceptin is a 'unique biologic therapy for cancers which have too much HER2 protein.' When a cancer cell has too much HER2, it will grow and divide faster than a typical cancer cell; so HER2-positive tumors grow and spread more rapidly. There's always the chance that a cancer cell could leave the area of the original tumor site and could 'attach' itself somewhere else in the body. So the standard of care, for women whose tumors over-express HER2, is to continue Herceptin for a year because it specifically targets any tumor cell which over-expresses the HER2 protein. Downside: Herceptin can weaken the heart muscle. Throughout my treatment, I have experienced mild chest discomfort off and on. Please pray with me that there will be no long-term toxicity to my heart.
I've been a little vague about my upcoming surgery. Partly, I don't want to burden anyone with the details. Plus, I'm not thinking too much about it. Is that denial? I don't know. But truthfully I have so many other things to distract me and I welcome the distractions. Next week I'll try to give a bit more info about my surgeries.....This week I'd rather share some of my distractions!!!
My oldest just finished IOWA testing. I'm finding more and more that he is a lot like me. And that makes me smile! For example, he actually LOVED being tested. He loved filling in the scan tron sheets, he loved talking to his friends during breaks, he loved that he knew many of the answers and he loved being challenged. He's a quirky kid....just like I was! I won't know how he did for another 6 weeks. But I don't need those scores to tell me where my son's academic weaknesses and strengths are. I already know...... because I am his teacher.
The Indiana Association of Home Educator's Convention takes place in Indianapolis this weekend. Originally, my surgery was planned for April 15th and I thought I'd have to miss the convention. But with my surgery date changed to April 29th, I get to go! I LOVE the convention. So many wonderful speakers, so many incredible curriculum, and SO MANY homeschoolers. It's an encouraging weekend for me!!
Next week, there will be doctors' appointments, school with the boys, and the Year End Program for the homeschool co-op we attend. A healthy dose of STUFF to do; just enough to keep me busy, but not too much to wear me out.
I just have to mention, again, how blessed I have been through this entire experience. Tiffini, a very dear friend of mine, has been helping to organize meals and house-cleaning during the various stages of my treatment. Late Monday night, she sent out an email to get some post-surgery meals ready. Before lunch on Tuesday....about 12 hours after the email was sent......all the slots were filled!!! I'm not sure I can express how humbling that is and how blessed that makes me feel.
May you have a healthy dose of STUFF to do this weekend. Enough to keep you busy, but not too much to wear you out. While you're doing your STUFF, don't forget to thank your Father in heaven for blessing you with the ability to do it!! And as Carol reminded me this week, remember to add some of the important things to your list......cuddling with your toddler...... reading a story to your preschooler..... playing a game with your elementary-age child.....and listening to your teenager..... Laundry, dishes, and sticks in the yard will never go away, but those kids will eventually grow up. They won't be little forever.
1 comment:
You are a brilliant light to our family and so very loved. We continue to hold up before the Father. Remember He works all things for good to those who love Him.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Post a Comment