This week I returned for the second test of the clinical study on the effects of chemotherapy on the brain. (My first experience was in January...see "Define Panacea.") It was more of the same and I'm happy to say it was just as much fun. I know.....I'm a nerd!!! My most favorite moment was defining 'panacea.' (Of course, I still have trouble with calendar and number.....Try defining those words....It's not as easy as you may think!)
In the midst my 'fun,' I was pleasantly surprised by what I learned.
First, I was reminded that motivation is important. Apparently, in this study, it takes more effort to keep the non-cancer participants motivated during the long day of testing and for the duration of the study (3 test days spread out over 18 months). It takes less effort to motivate the cancer participants. Both groups are given a monetary incentive, which makes the time commitment worth the effort. Yet, cancer participants seem to have a stronger belief that their involvement will help researchers, and subsequently other cancer patients in the future......That's what gets us through the 8-9 hour long day. What is the motivation? Believing that something you are doing can make a difference. Motivation is important, and it goes beyond this clinical study. I don't want to live my life with the mentality of the non-cancer participants: "I can't wait to get through this day" or "How much will I get (or where's my reward?)" I want to make a difference.....wherever God wants me to make it.
Second, I was reminded that unexpected nuggets of truth and discovery are wrapped up in our experiences. I miss them altogether when life becomes one 'to do' list after another. As a mom, balancing the 'to do' with 'the moment' requires energy and a willing spirit. For example, everyday I have a plan, or at least some semblance of a plan. That plan usually involves going somewhere, or not.....doing something, or not.....seeing someone, or not. It quite often involves my 4 children.....my 4 very active boy-children....my 4 very active boy-children who rarely understand how important it is to me that the plan run smoothly. Sure, we can get from point A to point B.....but, unfortunately, HOW we get there can sometimes make or break this mom's day.
Case in point: Vacation Bible School. It would be nice to take the kids to VBS and have them all: 1) Walk to their classes, 2) Speak respectfully to their teachers, 3) Listen and not interrupt the lessons, and 4) Walk with me to the car when VBS is over. These are ALL good plans and ALL good expectations. But guess what? They are children. They get excited. They get distracted. They get hungry. They get overstimulated. And sometimes......when you least expect it....when you've almost reached point B...... a frog hops haphazardly along the sidewalk as you're leaving the building. What does a boy do when he sees a frog hopping along.....imagine 4 boys doing that!!!! (Well, it happened to me....with 2 extra boys in tow!!!)
Okay...I had a point.....hmmmm......I lost my point......Where was I headed with that?.....Just a minute........oh, there it is....................
There are wonderful nuggets of truth and discovery just waiting to be found...IF we'll just take a moment, in our attempt to complete our 'to-do's', to notice. These nuggets aren't accidents. They aren't coincidences or random happenings. They have purpose, just as we have purpose. Though we may never understand their purpose, the significance of their presence in our lives is not diminished.
I believe God really wanted me 'to get' this point about experiencing the unexpected....about taking my 'horse blinders' off from time to time.....about experiencing the moment and waiting on the 'to-do's.' My lesson was wrapped up in form of a frolicsome amphibian! Do you remember that frog at VBS? Well, I wished it had never hopped along our path. My plan involved getting home ASAP and that was what was going to happen!!! So I did NOT let the boys play with it. It worked....although it wasn't very pretty. There was some frustration ....some yelling.... some anxiety...... some cajoling and corralling. When we got home, the boys were playing outside for about 20 minutes when all of a sudden one of them says, "Hey! There's a frog! Look! There's a FROG!!" Screams, giggles, scurrying and frantic hopping ensued. In the eight years that we've lived in this neighborhood, we've seen only 2 or 3 frogs. So, finding a frog is rare! Coincidence? No way! Divine intervention to drive home a point? I think so!
God, as I fight this mental and physical fatigue, may I not be discouraged with the unfamiliar pace with which I trudge forward. Grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. Lord, thank you for reminding me to stay motivated. Help me to find and to do things that please you and bring you glory. May I make a difference today. And Lord, I just wanted to thank you for the frogs. That was a great way to get my attention and a wonderful lesson to share with my sons. May we be ready for whatever you would have us to do. May we take time for the unplanned nuggets of truth and discovery that you bring across our path......even the green ones that hop!
*********
In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9
2 comments:
Love it! :) God can be too fun!! :)
Cara
Hi Michelle, have been praying for you and your family since I heard about what's going on in your life. Did not know where to find your blog until today. When I read about the frogs I remembered the day you and Bradley told me the potato bugs were having babies on the front porch. I was sure this was not happening but went to look and marveled with you about your discovery. I don't know exactly why I recalled that memory but it came! Here's something that encouraged me and I'm sure it will you also if you haven't seen it. http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=152b5103d741aca61093
We know that God does hold all things together with the CROSS - including us. Love & prayers, Sue
Post a Comment