Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Can I 'Fix' That?

Last week Sean and I went to part one of a three part clinical study focused on educating couples who are going through cancer. After finishing our first session on 'Effective Communication,' Sean came up with a great joke about 'fixing' problems. I'll do my best to re-tell it, but I know he would do a better job.

A lady walks into an Auto Shop. Her head is hanging low as if the weight of the world is on her shoulders.

Mechanic: Good morning, can I help you?
Lady: Yes, do you see that red car outside? The one with the dented fender and rust stains around the wheel doodga-ma-flops.
Mechanic: Mm-hmmm.
Lady: Well, it is giving me fits. I've noticed that it clangs when I turn my steering wheel right and it clunks when I turn it the left.
Mechanic: Really?
Lady: Yes, and for at least a week the driver's window won't go down. Do you have any idea what I have to go through to get my Starbucks at the drive through every morning?
Mechanic: I'm sure that is frustrating. Are there any other problems?
Lady: Well, now that you mention it, I do have to use sticky tape to keep my rear view mirror in place. Every fourth day, the 'stickyness' gets loose and I have to get MORE sticky tape. Ugh, what a headache!
Mechanic: Well, ma'am, I can fix all of those problems. I can have it ready for you by 5:00 tonight. Would that be alright with you?
Lady: Fix it? What? You want to fix it?
Mechanic: Well, ma'am, this is an auto shop and it is obvious your automobile has some issues.
Lady: Oh........No, I don't want you to FIX it! I just needed to tell you about it.
Mechanic: You don't want me to fix it?
Lady: Of course not. Don't be silly. I must say that just having you listen... ....well....... I'm feeling much better already. Thank you so much.

The lady leaves the shop with head held high and a new spring in her step, while the mechanic, wondering what in the world just happened, just sits and shakes his head.

3 comments:

Monica said...

I think your husband gets it:)!!
Sometimes we wouldn't change the journey for anything, we just want a friend beside us.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Every great husband in the world can identify with Sean's story! Tell him I am looking forward to the scenarios he comes up with from the next two meetings!!
Beth

jan said...

Perfect! I live with 5 guys and they are all that mechanic.:-)
Judy