The results are in! No mutation was detected in the BRCA 1. Yippee! The BRCA 2 was a bit different, but not alarming. It was not a yes, nor a no, but a 'genetic variant of uncertain significance.' That's quite a mouthful. I do not carry the specific code for the BRCA 2 gene, which is good news for me and my family. If I understood the geneticist correctly, I am the first person tested to have this specific variant. So that means 'the contribution of this variant to the relative risk of breast or ovarian cancer cannot be established solely from this analysis.' .....That's another mouthful!!
My wonderful, darling husband has speculated to what my genetic variant is contributing. (He's made several suggestions, but I shall only mention this one......) He thinks it has something to do with my need to see my favorite TV programs, of which there are only two. Survivor and Lost. I tape them and watch them after the kiddos are in bed.
Last week, I forgot to record Survivor. I'm not sure which upset me more......forgetting to tape Survivor or being upset with myself for being upset for forgetting to tape Survivor. That probably doesn't make sense, but I get upset when unimportant things frustrate me...."Michelle, it's just a show. Who cares who was voted off? It doesn't matter who went to exile island or what new alliances were made. It's JUST a show." Whew, at least I didn't forget to tape Lost. That would be a tragedy!
If Sean is right, then it wouldn't take long to find my gene variant in other people. I could trace it in my family tree. I'd start with my sister Kelly. She's certainly a carrier of the 'need for TV gene,' especially of the 'Survivor and Lost' variant. We can thank our Dad for passing it to us. And without a doubt, I know where my Dad got it. (I love you, Grandma Keva!!!)
I could easily get tied up in the details of this genetic test. I could question the uncertainties and allow my thoughts to overtake me. But I am determined to keep my thoughts captive and to continue to trust in my Lord for He is forever faithful. A little bit of odd humor seems to help, too!
*******
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. Ephesians 1:17
Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. Psalm 100:1-5
4 comments:
My Dear Michelle, It won't be long before you look back on this up-tight, high-powered, super-charged issue with a whole new outlook. To be quite candid, you may laugh out loud in the future at something you're eating your heart out over today. "You will surely forget your trouble, recalling it only as waters gone by. Life will be brighter than noonday" Job11:16-17
love,
Mom
Dear Michelle , Your Blog sounds like an eletion getting ready to take place . I am glad BRCA1, was Lost and BRCA 2 will not Survive . As for me and my vote I vote for Michelle.
Love ya " Keep on Truckin "
Dad
Man, I so totally relate to getting upset with myself over something like that. I have been guilty of getting quite upset over forgetting to tape the Amazing Race. Thanks for being REAL, girl!
And so thankful for the negative results of BRCA 1!!
Michelle,
You have some great genes. They have come all the way from Finland and Greece. Wouldn't it be something if they did a survivor from Greece or Finland. You would easily win that one. You have won this last round of tests and you are most definately a SURVIVOR and you have not LOST your way. You are on an AMAZING RACE. Remember you don't have to DEAL OR NO DEAL with BIG BROTHER because your cancer is the BIGGEST LOSER. When this journey is all over you will be DANCING WITH THE STARS.
Can you tell I have that same gene?
Love ya,
Kelly
Post a Comment