Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ode to My Hair (Part IV)

It wasn't very long ago,
That nothing on my head did grow.
'Til finally on that wondrous day
Some new found hairs were on display!!!
What joy! What hope! What happy bliss!
Those hairs upon my head were missed.
To have them back was a relief.
The time felt long, but it was brief.
Each passing day I did await
To see what my new hair would state.

Curly or straight? or thick again?
Brown or gray? or would it be thin?
My brows and lashes....what if they
never again saw the light of day?
So many things I wanted to know.....
I'd have to wait for my hair to grow!!
Others had said that they were surprised
To find less hair on their arms and thighs.
To have that kind of unplanned result
Wouldn't be all that difficult!

After several weeks, and frequent glances
I see that my hair has had some enhances.
Along with the brown, there is sprinkled more grey.
Although it seems straight, there are curls on the way.
I'm thrilled with the head full of hair that I've got,
But the other parts of my body......I'm not!
The hairs on my legs, in my pits and my toes,
The ones on my arms, on my belly and nose,
And EVEN the single lone hair from my chin,
Each one has come back with an unruly friend!!!

Ah well! So it goes. I should not complain.
The last thing I want is to sound like I'm vain.
I'm wonderf'ly blessed to have breath in my being
To lift up my voice, to give praises, and sing
To God who has sheltered me during this trial,
Who has given me courage and helped me to smile.
Without Him I'd perish. But with Him....I live!
Glory and Honor to Him do I give.
It's not about hair or where it might grow.
It's really about the Savior I know!

4 comments:

Monica said...

You are HILARIOUS!! It's like reading Dr. Suess on radiation:)

Unknown said...

You looked fabulous yesterday Michelle! It was great to see you:)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree. You give Dr. Seuss a run for the money.
Melissa

jan said...

This is a wonderful poem and I agree with Cheri-you look great!
Judy