Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Don't Give Up

When I was first diagnosed a friend gave me a thin hot pink book. On the cover is part of the hand of a woman holding a sword. The book is Warrior Chicks: Rising Strong, Beautiful and Confident, by Holly Wagner. Although I had plenty of other important things to do while I received my Herceptin treatment today, I decided to finally take a peak between the covers of this book.

I was not disappointed!!!

Holly describes the difference between a soldier and a warrior. 'Soldier' is a position and 'Warrior' is an attitude. A soldier signs up to join the fight; a warrior stays until it is finished. I needed this encouragement as I round the bend of my primary treatment and find myself growing weary of the battle. Only 6 months to go....but it seems like an eternity. Holly writes, "Others are watching to see how we handle this battle. They want answers. And they are hoping we have some."

Most of us don't sign up for the battles we face. Yet there we are in the midst of them. We can face them as soldiers OR we can face them as warriors. To rise above it all. Rather than try to re-phrase Holly's words from pages 35-36 I want to share them with you. As you face the battle that is before you, I pray you will be encouraged to be the Warrior whom God has created you to be.

********
What battle are you in the middle of now? (If you are not in one right now, your turn is next week!)

Is it your marriage?

Well, there are those watching who need to see how to have a great one, so don't give up.

Please.

Is it raising children?

Well, there are those watching who need to see how to raise healthy ones, so don't give up.

Please.

Is it feeding the hungry?

Well, there are hungry people who need to be fed, so don't give up.

Please.

Is it coming out of an abusive relationship?

Well, there are those watching who need to see how to get out, too, so don't give up.

Please.

Is it overcoming depression?

Well, there are those watching who need to see how to do it, so don't give up.

Please.
******

Please, don't give up.

******
Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn. Isaiah 60:1-3

1 comment:

jan said...

I needed to read this Michelle. It was a great post.
We actually don't have a choice about fighting-we do have a choice about HOW we finish though. Are we going to finish Well, or just "finish"?
I found a great quote a couple weeks ago:

The second half determines the score......

Have a great weekend!
Judy