Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pruning Seems Easier

When it comes to character training with my boys or myself, real pruning would seem easier. It would take less energy to just cut off a branch of pride, a vine of anger, a twig of deception, a limb of fear and a shoot of dissension? Just cut it off. Let it shrivel up and die, never to show it's ugly head again.

Pruning would still require some effort. Being a poor gardener myself, I have first hand experience in what happens when plants aren't cared for properly. What a mess! If we really did have these strange extensions of pride, anger, deception, etc. sprouting from our bodies, we'd be a mess, too. We'd get entwined so easily that nothing would get accomplished. It would take a vigilant gardener to keep our 'flora' healthy and strong. Of course if the gardener himself has his own faults, he'd quickly have his own extensions to deal with....I wonder if he'd turn out looking like Edward Scissorhands.

Of course, I can't really ask a plant its opinion on the matter. It's a plant. It doesn't have a spirit or a choice. Only the gardener does. Only the gardener decides what to prune, when to prune, how to prune...or if he even wants to prune. The plant is at the mercy of the gardener.

I suppose......am I really saying this??.......I suppose I'd rather keep 'butting' heads with my kiddos. Hopefully, it will be less frequent if I stay consistent and if I discipline with love. I'd rather it be their choice to choose right from wrong. Their choice to lay down their pride. And it's my choice as to how I respond.

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for being our gardener. May we accept your pruning so that we may be fruitful. Thank you for giving us choice. May we choose to be a blessing for life!

**********
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." John 15:1-2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck Swindoll says today. "God never promised you a Disneyland. He offers something better--His own sustaining presence through any trouble you may encounter."
Hebrews 13: 5 "I will never leave thee, or forsake thee." Take heart. You are doing a great job with our grandchildren. Someday you will see the rewards as we have in you and your sisters. Always love,
Mom and Dad

Rachel said...

Hi Michelle,

What a beautiful analogy of our lives and God cleaning us up! I don't want my life to be full of weeds! (But, the pruning is painful!!!) I needed to hear this today:)

Also, are your parents interested in adopting a 30-something grown-up girl?? What a blessing they must be in your life!

Have a great day!!!! I was glad to see you yesterday even if it was just in passing. I almost didn't recognize you because you weren't in the Suburban:)