It wasn't but a week ago, I noticed something new.
Instead of hair upon my head, my scalp was showing through.
A knitted cap or fancy scarf could cover up the sight.
But they did make my head to ache and itch and scratch at night.
I'd had enough the other night and wanted to be brave.
and contemplated for a time, if it was time to shave
the straggly hairs upon my head that stuck out all about,
or should I wait another week before I tried that out.
Sean looked at me, and smiled so sweet, not wanting to persuade.
He knew the choice was up to me, and let me contemplate.
And finally at a half past ten, I knew just what to do.
And Sean took out his little kit and bid my hair adieu.
I couldn't look. I feared the worst. What was I soon to see?
A bumpy, knobby, wrinkly head, a scar or two, or three.
I asked my man to step outside, to give me time alone
That I may peer upon my head in private.....on my own.
With eyes shut tight, I reached up high and felt my prickly hair.
Then slowly, peeked...then quickly looked...and finally stood and stared.
It's not so bad. I see no bumps or scars or wrinkly skin.
In fact, the lone hair that stuck out's no longer on my chin.
What unexpected freedom came! What unexpected joy!
If I could have but one wish now, I'm sure that I'd employ
That every woman have this chance to feel the freedom of
A barren head, a hairless chin, and love from up above.
It's hard to lay aside our pride. It's hard to lay things down.
To things we've had for oh so long, like hair upon our crown.
If hair, or job, or child, or dream, before the Lord you've placed...
I pray that God will fill you up with his unending grace.
3 comments:
I'm laughing out loud!!
Michelle, what a great perspective. Your beauty shine through, hair or no hair.
You wrote that so beautifully. I cried reading it. Have you found Heather yet? I have a button for her on my sidebar. She's written several times about losing her hair.
You are brave and no doubt very beautiful.
Michelle,
You are definately one of the few people I know who could actually pull off a hairless dome. Those of you who only know her by the words she types, she is a very beautiful woman...inside and out!
April
Post a Comment