If you couldn't tell from my last two entries, I was not disappointed at the Homeschool Convention last weekend. Being a teacher at heart, I have this deep desire to share good insights with others. Not only do I think it can encourage those who hear it, but it also further cements ideas in my heart. So, I wanted to share just a few more things that spoke to me. The reason I've included the websites is to twofold: first, you may really like what was said and may want to find out more about that person or his ministry; second, you may question what is being said and may want to find out more information. I suppose the third option is: you don't care what was said. If that is you, then it's easy to skip right over the websites!!!!
So here are some of my highlights:
"In order to prepare for a personal revival we must live each day nourishing a humble heart. The fallow life is contented with himself and the fruit he once bore. He does not want to be disturbed. The plowed life is discontent, yearning and contrite. It lives in courageous obedience to the will of God......If you have quarreled with anyone, go as far as you can to achieve reconciliation." Points from Norm Wakefield's talk on 'Building a Godly Legacy for Generations.' http://www.spiritofelijah.com/
"A boy doesn't do what his mother tells him to do....He does what his father is doing. If you want your child to read (to be respectful, to be a hard worker, etc.) then you need to model that. Otherwise you'll hear, 'Well, daddy, if (reading, hard work, etc) is so important then why don't you do it." Points from Jan Bloom's talk on 'Books for Boys!' http://www.booksbloom.com/
"A man who knows how to serve knows how to lead. The four building blocks to raising Godly sons are purity, integrity, responsibility, and servant leadership. Responsibility must first be demonstrated in the home, then in the church, and then in the community." Points from Shelley Noonan's talk on 'Build-A-Man.' http://www.pumpkinseedpress.net/
"No civilization has ever survived the breakdown of the family......Today's entertainment is an overwhelming and culture-shaping force in our world. But is it entertainment? No. It changes how we know and think. The rapid pace of images and ideas bombards us and discourages us from true reflection and evaluation of what we are taking in. Images and ideas are given and juxtaposed out of context, making life fragmented. Life becomes trivialized. For instance, after days and days of reporting on the devastating tsunami, people became disinterested. Nobody paid attention to the TVs scattered about the airport. The death toll was now over 200,000. But all of a sudden, 'Breaking News' came on a Major News Channel. Every head in the airport turned, every eye became fixated on the monitors as we discovered that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston were breaking up. Oh My! (Yes, it is sad for Jennifer and Brad....but 'Breaking News' on a MAJOR NEWS CHANNEL......I don't think so). Often when we turn on our TV, listen to our music, or go to see a movie, we 'veg' out. Our brains turn off. We escape. It is never legitimate to escape the world." Points from John Stonestreet's talk on Thinking Biblically in an Entertainment Culture. http://www.summit.org/
Well, that's about it. It looks like I'll be busy for the rest of the day. I've got a yearning to till some fallow soil in my soul and a desire to read some really good books to my boys. When I get done with that, I'll find the strength to serve my children so that I can model for them what it is to be a servant leader. Once everyone is tucked in bed, I'll turn on the TV and try NOT to 'veg' out!!!!!! :)
*******
Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. Acts 17:11
The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. Psalm 19:7
Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10: 43-45
1 comment:
Your dad's cousin Lenny Wisehart preached his last service on Sunday and we attended. His health has been an issue. But it was powerful.The one thing he said that spoke to my heart was this-"Never allow the issues of life to put you under your circumstances." You are walking toward your surgeries (issues)and you are walking hand in hand with your God. Don't look down, look at your King. I love you my Shellbug.
Mom
Post a Comment