Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What to Expect When You're Expecting......?

I'm guessing that most women have heard of the book, What to Expect When You're Expecting. Whether you've read it is another story. It seems everyone plans for things differently. Some like to read up on every bit of information they can find, some prefer to ask lots of questions to those who have 'been there and done that,' and others tend to take the 'let's wait and see what happens' approach. However you plan, life happens....one day at a time. There's always something ahead on the horizon.

At this moment, I'm trying to figure out what to expect when you're expecting major female surgery all at one time. I've already tried the 'read up on every bit of information I can find' tactic. That was a pretty scary Internet search because most of the information was not cancer related, but more for someone interested in changing who God created them to be. Well, that's not where I'm headed. I did find some helpful information here and there on cancer websites about menopause and its unwelcoming side effects, but I had to stop searching.

So, I tried option number 2: ask lots of questions to those who have 'been there and done that.' I've had several friends and mentors who've had cancer who have been present with me during my journey with cancer. They've been my prayer warriors, my confidants, my shoulders to lean on, my examples to follow. There are many out there: Missy, Julie, Ronda, Tillie, Karen, Theresa, the woman at the children's museum, the ladies at YSC, the list goes on. There are certainly many similarities that we all share, but many variants that come into play in our treatments.

What was that third option? I've gathered all the information I can, and I've asked a ton of questions. Now it's time to 'wait and see.' All the planning in the world cannot completely prepare me for what's ahead. As the day of surgery approaches (which is three weeks away) I find myself more emotional than I've been through this entire process. I feel as if I'm about to say good-bye to some dear life long friends who have been with me from the beginning of my life as a woman. On a very practical side, they nurtured and fed all 4 of my boys, helping to develop that wonderful bond between mother and child. Currently, they're masking the bulging tummy that I never took time to slim down after having those 4 boys (Oh My!!) They also provide the contour that makes one 'feel' like a woman. But they are about to go. And I must let them. And it will be difficult.

There's another option I failed to mention. I will trust in the Lord with ALL of my heart and lean NOT on MY OWN understanding. I will ACKNOWLEDGE Him in ALL things and HE will DIRECT my path.

What do I expect when I'm expecting a major change in my life? I'm expecting to see the wonderful and mighty hand of God. My ways are not His ways. My thoughts are not His thoughts. How can I begin to understand what great and mighty things He has for me? I will trust in Him. I've already experienced a better relationship with God, with my husband, with my children, with my friends and family.......I've already experienced some growth in my character and in the gifts God has given me.....I wait in anticipation to see what else God is preparing for me. The world may not define these 'things' as great and wonderful. But I'm not concerned with what the world thinks.

Expect great things in your life....no matter what your circumstances are....no matter what trial or tribulation you are facing. For God is faithful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Michelle--I needed this today. What an encouragement you have been to me. "Trust ye in the Lord forever, for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength. Is. 26:4"
I'm praying for you--
Kim P.

Monica said...

Michelle, your life continues to shine as a city on a hill. I know that there are many changes and uncertain days ahead, but I know the God who holds you in His hand doesn't change and His ways are certain.

Continuing to pray for you daily.